BREAKING: Brookfield Not Submitting a New Bid

Brookfield Properties has announced they have not submitted a second bid for the Rail Yards site. Supplementary bids were due yesterday.

Back in January, the MTA asked the five developers to submit supplementary materials supporting their ability to lease, not buy, the 26-acre site. None of this financial information was made public.

Brookfield’s decision not to submit new materials knocks them out of the running for lead developer of the site, but according to a source, they still may be considered as partners in the development. Brookfield recently announced another large-scale development on Ninth Avenue, only a few blocks from the Rail Yards.

There was coverage today in the Times and the Observer.

Christine Quinn’s Fighting Words on Javits High Line Block

quinn.jpg

[Photo: William Alatriste]

City Council Speaker Christine Quinn delivered a rousing State of the City address (PDF) yesterday.  It included a promise to “fight any shortsighted effort” by the State to sell two sites adjacent to the Jacob Javits Convention Center until a compelling plan for Javits expansion or replacement is made.  One of the sites: the northermost High Line block, from 33rd to 34th Street. 

 The State previously said it intended to sell this site, as well as the 39th – 40th Street block, to fund housing and transportation initiatives.  Friends of the High Line’s views this site as an integral part of the larger discussion of the development of the rail yards.  And if the 33-34 site is sold for development, accommodation must be made for the existing High Line structure and/or its easement.

The State immediately issued a statement supporting its position, as reported by the New York Observer. Speaker Quinn has been a leading supporter of the High Line project since 1999, and she is an outspoken supporter of our efforts to preserve the High Line at the rail yards.

Florent Goes to Court!

florent.jpg

[Photos: Getty; Laura Miller]

We bumped into Florent Morellet Wednesday night outside the Community Board 4 meeting and he was bubbling about his recent day in court. The Meatpacking District pioneer and devoted High Line supporter has filed suit against his landlord in an effort to extend the lease on the famed Restaurant Florent — and he was pleased because the judge was familiar with him and his fabulous eatery.

“I know this restaurant–Florent is a great place,” remarked Judge Matthew Cooper, according to Chris Shott in this week’s Observer. The judge is still deliberating, Florent told us outside the CB4 meeting. If he is forced to close the restaurant, Florent intends to make the final month at 69 Gansevoort Street one big party.

We will be there.

News Roundup February 1-7

The January 28 MTA letter to developers generated a bunch of speculation on what the new guidelines will mean for developers, and it’s been a busy week for the various other developments around the Yards.

And in developer news,

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.